Welcome to the 2021 edition of the Feis Ile bottles guide!
Once again, this year the festival goes virtual as the Covid-19 pandemic is still raging around the world and surely no big crowds will be allowed in such public events.
This post will detail all the available information on the festival bottles and will be update each time more details will be revealed.
29/04/2021 – Added second Bunnahabhain Feis Ile 2021 bottle
27/04/2021 – Added the first Bunnahabhain Feis Ile 2021 bottle
20/04/2021 – Added Kilchoman Feis Ile 2021 bottle
21/03/2021 – Added Laphroaig Cairdeas 2021 bottle
28/02/2021 – Added SMWS Caol Ila bottle
08/02/2021 – Initial update with Ardbeg
and a few SMWS bottles
Ardnahoe – Open day on Friday 28th May 2021
Lagavulin – Open day on Saturday 29th May 2021
Bruichladdich – Open day on Sunday 30th May 2021
Caol Ila – Open day on Monday 31st May 2021
Laphroaig – Open day on Tuesday 1st June 2021
- Laphroaig Cairdeas 2021 Pedro Ximenez Casks (58.9%)
The Laphroaig Cairdeas 2021 will be PX Casks (Cask Strength). It’s triple casked whisky – starting with 1st fill ex-bourbon casks, moved to Quarter casks and eventually finished in European Oak Hogshead PX casks.
Bowmore – Open day on Wednesday 2nd June 2021
Kilchoman – Open day on Thursday 3rd June 2021
- Kilchoman Feis Ile 2021 (2,832 bottles, 56.3%)
Eight 100% Islay casks for this year’s release, two 2011 oloroso sherry butts and six 2012 bourbon barrels. The casks were filled with 20ppm 100% Islay spirit, distilled from Optic and Publican barley varieties, harvested at Kilchoman in 2010 and 2011.
Bunnahabhain – Open day on Friday 4th June 2021
- Bunnahabhain 2013 Moine Bordeaux Cask Finish (59.5%, 5166 bottles)
Distilled 10/10/2013 and bottled 25/11/2020
Light toasted oak, red fruits leading to a sweet, dark fruit jam and a hint of dry smoke.
Peat smoke, oak spice, dark grapes, cocoa and red chili, with a delicately balanced sweetness and acidity.
Long and sweet, with hints of red wine and over-ripened grapes.
- Bunnahabhain 2001 Marsala Cask Finish (53.6%, 1333 bottles)
Distilled 08/10/2001 and botted 19/01/2021
Dried fruit, honey and Morello cherries, with hints of red grapes, walnuts, liquorice and tobacco.
Sweetly dry flavours of stone fruits, red apple, vanilla, honey and cloves, with a touch of oak and roasted nuts.
Dry and short, with subtle hints of tobacco, leather and spice.
Ardbeg – Open day on Saturday 5th June 2021
- Ardbeg Scorch (46%)
Dragon Charred casks (One level up from Alligator). A committee release bottled at 51.7% will be released sometime before the festival.
Jura – Open day on Sunday 6th June 2021
SMWS (Scotch Malt Whisky Society)
- There are no official Feis Ile 2021 bottles from SMWS
Based on input and clarifications from Feis committee and SMWS, this section was removed as there are no official Feis 2021 bottles from SMWS.
Big Peat ‘PEATRICHOR’ (58.3%)
- PEATRICHOR – This is a reference to Petrichor and that is the typical smell of rain after a dry period. We also call this fragrance ‘petrichor’. This is of course a nod to the rainy weather on Islay.
- (Note: There’s no mention of Feis Ile 2021 on the label, but a few shops selling it refers to this bottle as the Douglas Laing Festival bottle. Maybe should call it one a tribute bottling)